Friday, April 21, 2006
These pigeons were hanging outside of Union Station in Chicago. As people walk by they throw a handful or two of crackers and bread during rush hour. These pigeons had a food arrival after posing for me so they became busy. Pigeons are so cool.
1. Pigeons mate for life.
2. Both the male and female raise their young (mostly male, toward the end of 'babyhood') all the way until the baby has 'feathered-out' and almost full size.
3. Pigeons hide their nest. That's why you never see baby pigeons-like you might see sparrow's nest for example.
4. Pigeons were and are cliff dwellers. That's why they are so adept at living in skyscraper cities.
5. Pigeon parents spoil their two babies. They only lay two eggs so they can. It's called non pareil.
6. Pigeons drink like horses and suck water up in a big drink.
All these great facts came from discovery.com